Beach Cleanup Captains
The one-day spring and fall beach cleanups are organized on the ground by volunteer Zone Captains and Beach Captains. The Oregon Coast is delineated into 14 zones and each zone is led by one or more local Zone Captains who organize waste disposal and multiple sites. Zone Captains recruit volunteer Beach Captains who staff up to 50 registration sites up and down the coast on the day of the beach cleanup. Zone Captains, and the Beach Captains they recruit to staff registration sites, are at the core of the success of every Beach Cleanup.
- Work with Local Coast Haulers to arrange garbage hauling and recycling
- Recruit and train one to two Beach Captains for each registration site
- Order supplies
- Solicit donations for snacks and plan post-event celebrations
- Spread the word through distributing posters and press releases locally
- Set up registration table(s) and site signage
- Welcome volunteers as they arrive.
- Lead a safety orientation and manage waivers
- Hand out gloves, bags and steer volunteers toward areas that need extra attention
- Tally results
- Assist Zone Captains